Garden In Layers to Make the Most of Small Landscapes
Washington, DC | Maryland | Virginia
Many people feel they are limited when it comes to landscaping small areas. The truth is that small landscape designs can be just as versatile and attractive as gardens planned on bigger plots of land. If you’re wanting to create a breathtaking garden but have a limited amount of space available, try gardening in layers to help you make the most of it.
Try to visualize your space into top, middle, and bottom layers. The top layer should be on the outside perimeter or near the back of your garden spot, depending on its unique shape. The middle one would be in the center, while the bottom would be closest to you.
Choose some plants you like, and then group them according to their height. The tallest ones would go in the top layer, while the shortest ones should be planted on the bottom. Some good choices for the top layer include climbing vines, small trees, or spiked flowers. Small to medium-sized shrubs, hostas, and flowers would be ideal for the middle layer. Short flowers or ground cover are perfect for the bottom layer of your small garden.
Use a variety of colors and textures to enhance your space. Don’t worry about it being overwhelming, as it will actually make your garden area seem more roomy than it actually is. It’s also helpful if you choose flowers that bloom at different times throughout the season, as this will ensure your garden is constantly alive with color.
Garden accents can be added to a small garden, but they shouldn’t be overly large. Try a tiny statue of a rabbit or squirrel amongst your shrubbery, or hang a bird feeder from a shepherd’s hook to help provide a unique focal point for your landscape.
At Johnson’s Landscaping Service, we know that no space is too big or too small to be turned into a work of art you will treasure. Contact us for a consultation today.
We answer phones Monday-Friday 8-5. If you have questions, please call (301) 656-6414.
Get in Touch
7201 Brookville Road
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
- Landscaping Services in Chevy Chase, MD
- Landscaping Services in Bethesda, MD
- Landscaping Services in Washington DC
- Landscaping Services in Darnestown, MD
- Landscaping Services in Brookeville, MD
- Landscaping Services in NE DC
- Landscaping Services in Takoma Park, MD
- Landscaping Services in Laytonsville, MD
- Landscaping Services in Clarksburg, MD
- Landscaping Services in Olney, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Potomac, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Rockville, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Kensington, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Chevy Chase, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Silver Spring, MD