Get Ready For Winter!
These easy tips will help you prepare your landscape for the winter months:
- Pull mulch back from the base of young trees, particularly if mice are a problem in your area; they can chew on the bark.
- Mulch after the first freeze to insulate plants against freezing temperatures, especially those that are marginally hardy.
- Spray trees that are prone to insect and disease problems with dormant oil, provided temperatures are above 40 degrees F.
- Turn the compost pile one last time, and cover with a tarp to preserve heat and keep heavy rain from leaching nutrients.
- Remove leaves from water gardens; when they decompose they can release chemicals harmful to fish.
- Clean your tools and apply a coat of oil to metal surfaces to prevent rust.
- Disconnect and drain hoses to keep freezing water from bursting hoses or pipes.
- Remove dead plants and potting soil from clay pots to keep them from cracking. Store the pots in a garage or shed.
Get in Touch
7201 Brookville Road
Chevy Chase, MD 20815