The Importance of Proper Retaining Wall Construction | Gaithersburg, MD
The purpose of a retaining wall is to hold back soil that would otherwise slide downwards due to gravity. The retaining wall is the best and most efficient solution to manage sloping property when a level surface is desired or warranted, as it helps create more usable space. Incorporated into the overall landscape design, a retaining wall can be an interesting architectural feature.
Retaining walls are constructed of durable materials that uphold structural integrity when properly designed and constructed. The walls have to withstand lateral soil pressure, the effects of gravity and a change in grade that exceeds the angle of repose of the soil. There are a variety of materials used on retaining wall construction including stone, concrete, timber, brick and interlocking blocks and pavers.
If retaining wall construction is not in compliance with proper design and construction standards and methods, the wall will not perform the intended job and the wall will fail causing it to tilt, crack or crumble under the weight of the soil. If this happens, the failing wall could cause damage to property and any persons in the area at the time of failure.
In addition to the fundamental need for a retaining wall, there are additional features that can be incorporated into the design. Adding seats along the wall will provide the property owner and visitors a place to sit and relax or adding planters and lighting will add elegance to the retaining wall that will only enhance the property and the visual effects of the wall.
When considering retaining wall construction it is always essential to hire an expert in such design and construction. It is important to keep in mind retaining wall design and construction is more than a simple fence. It is also important to be aware of municipal building codes to make sure the design and construction are in compliance and meet all structural, environmental and construction standards and demands.
To help with any questions and concerns you may have about retaining wall construction, please contact us. Thank you.
We answer phones Monday-Friday 8-5. If you have questions, please call (301) 656-6414.
Get in Touch
7201 Brookville Road
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
- Landscaping Services in Chevy Chase, MD
- Landscaping Services in Bethesda, MD
- Landscaping Services in Washington DC
- Landscaping Services in Darnestown, MD
- Landscaping Services in Brookeville, MD
- Landscaping Services in NE DC
- Landscaping Services in Takoma Park, MD
- Landscaping Services in Laytonsville, MD
- Landscaping Services in Clarksburg, MD
- Landscaping Services in Olney, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Potomac, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Rockville, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Kensington, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Chevy Chase, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Silver Spring, MD