Pergola Landscape Designs | Don’t Forget The Climbing Vines
The visual appeal of a pergola is unmatched in landscape design when it comes to the focal point of your outdoor living space. It can act as an extension of your home or, more often, as a source of shade that also allows for gentle breezes to surround you. One of the best things about the addition of a pergola is how it provides you with a framework that many lovely climbing plants can thrive on and around.
A common feature of climbing vines are the “suckers” or sticky tips they use to attach to a structure. They leave residue behind and can also cause damage to some building materials. Some examples of these vines include, the Virginia Creeper and Boston Ivy. Both of these grow very quickly and can be difficult to control.
There are some climbing vines that grow well in our climate and do not leave damage or discoloration behind. Favorites include the Crossvine or the Wisteria. They may take a bit longer to fully cover your structure, but they provide beautiful flowers that insects don’t find irresistible. They both require a sturdy structure as they can become quite heavy in maturity.
If you are dreaming of a fragrant retreat, you might consider the Trumpet Honeysuckle. But be aware that the bees will also enjoy their fragrance. On the plus side, so do the hummingbirds. The Climbing Hydrangea is a grower’s favorite with its beautiful blooms. Consider alternate shading until this plant has had a chance to become established.
At Johnson’s Landscaping Service we want to make sure that you know all about the wonderful uses of the pergola you have been dreaming about. If you live in Northwest DC or Montgomery County, MD, Contact us today to find out how we can make your outdoor living space dream your new reality!
We answer phones Monday-Friday 8-5. If you have questions, please call (301) 656-6414.
Get in Touch
7201 Brookville Road
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
- Landscaping Services in Chevy Chase, MD
- Landscaping Services in Bethesda, MD
- Landscaping Services in Washington DC
- Landscaping Services in Darnestown, MD
- Landscaping Services in Brookeville, MD
- Landscaping Services in NE DC
- Landscaping Services in Takoma Park, MD
- Landscaping Services in Laytonsville, MD
- Landscaping Services in Clarksburg, MD
- Landscaping Services in Olney, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Potomac, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Rockville, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Kensington, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Chevy Chase, MD
- Landscape Maintenance in Silver Spring, MD